October 16, 2008

Tiger Cub Thursday







The last few days have been spent working on Matthew's boat for Scouts. First choosing the paint color, then the theme, then building it, painting it and applying the stickers.(Thanks Dad!) Finally the finished product; a bright blue boat with an "American theme"(based on the upcoming election). He is SO excited, It is perfect, tested and ready to go........
Matthew walks into my room; "I'm home Mommy, and I lost"..... "You lost"? "I stink, Mom, my boat was not fast enough". I try to console him and tell him that his boat is great, I tell him that it is okay to lose, as long as you tried your best. Dad says, a 4th grader won...I tell Matthew this is your 1st year in scouts and a 4th grader has had lots of practice....
Matthew is such a sensitive child, he is also at the age where it is either win or lose and no in between. Apparently he was not the only sad one, there were 2 other 1st grade boys, who actually cried at the race. Bless their hearts, you hate to see them hurt, but know this is just another one of the many life lessons ahead.... I tucked him in and kissed him goodnight and said " I love you, and Mommy is so proud of you!" "I love you too Mommy" he says.....
Thank goodness the Pinewood Derby is not until the spring!

6 comments:

Penny said...

How very sweet. Please be sure Matthew let's PaPa and I know when the Pinewood Derby is so we can come, watch and maybe celebrate the outcome - happy or sad - with ice cream later. Also, be sure Matthew knows we buy anything he is selling....

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

CUTE!!!

Football and Fried Rice said...

He looks happy in the pictures ;)

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

What a cute tiger cub!

Enjoy your weekend!

Lisa

Lucy said...

What a cute story and the biggest lesson is that he tried, good for him! Love the pics of him, he is just so darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Wow... don"t think my troop made boats. I do remember pinewood derby though. And all these years later, I could not tell you who won or many other details of the event it self. however, I do remember "helping" pop build it like it was yesterday. That itself meant the world to me. Will never forget it.